It was sad to see Alice Weld leave Crystal Castles today for personal & professional reasons. She updated her Facebook account today saying:
“My art and my self-expression in any form has always been an attempt towards sincerity, honesty, and empathy for others. For a multitude of reasons both professional and personal I no longer feel that this is possible within CC. Although this is the end of the band, I hope my fans will embrace me as a solo artist in the same way they have embraced Crystal Castles.”
So here are 6 interesting facts you might not have known about them:
1. Lead singer Alice Glass isn’t afraid of a fight! She has previously been seen throwing punches (and a drum kit!) at security during a live show at the SonarPub venue. Security at Glastonbury Festival in 2008 attempted to shut off the bands set after Alice started scaling the speakers and attempting to stage dive, Latitude also saw the singer repeatedly punch a young male in the face after he allegedly groped her.
2. They have had their fare share of copyright issues. The band used artist Trevor Brown’s ‘Bruised Madonna’ image for their merchandise, which lead to various abusive blog posts from the artist including ‘fuck crystal castles’. It is also reported that they have abused the creative commons licence a number of times and ‘borrowed’ sounds on tracks such as ‘insecticon’ and ‘Love & Caring’.
3. Their debut single ‘Alice Practice’ was an accident, band member Ethan Kath told gigwise.com “That was just her testing her mic at our very first recording session over one of our loops. We didn't know that the guy who owned the studio was recording her, so I guess you could call that an accident.”
4. Alice Glass has a strong stance on religion, in an interview with pitchfork she said “I was raised Catholic…I have resentment for being forced to believe in something. I will always think of the church as an institution and not a comfort.”
5. She wants test tube babies? In the same interview with pitchfork when asked where she thinks the world would be in 50 years time she replies “When I genetically engineer my child from a test tube, I want them to have big eyes.”
6. She Doesn’t like Katy Perry very much. In an interview with NME talking about her views on how ‘sex sells’ in modern society she said “Like fucking Katy Perry spraying people with her fucking dick, her fucking cum gun coming on fucking children…Don't prey on vulnerable people like that. Don't encourage little girls to get dressed up, to have cupcakes on their tits to get people to lick them off 'cos that's what you're insinuating.”
The Official Video for Baptism can be seen below: